AL MURID AL SALIK
Extracted from Al Murid al Salik ;
By Muhyi’d-Din, al-Ghawth al-A’zam, Sultan al-Awliya, Shaykh Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani Radi Allahu ta’ala anhu.
Whoever relates himself to a Shaykh, in one way or another, thinking that his relationship will free him from something in the Shari’ah, is sorely mistaken.
Tasawwuf is not wearing the patched wool,
Weeping when singers sing,
Shouting, dancing, or enjoying (these things),
Or behaving like a madman;
Rather, tasawwuf is being pure without turbidity
And following the Haqq, the Qur�an, the din
And humbling the self to Allah, feeling unworthy
Sad, for having committed sins throughout life.
Support for this is found in the Book of Allah. The Exalted says in one ayat: “And no bearer of a burden shall bear the burden of another” (6:164); and in another: “And that his striving shall soon be seen; then shall he be rewarded for it with the fullest reward” (53:39-40).
O Murid, you must be calm and your approach to this path must be the pure Shari’ah. Your actions must be in accordance with the glorious Shari’ah both literally and interpretively. The Shari’ah is the cutting edge and the shining sword that protects itself from imperfection. In this meaning, the Chosen One (upon him be peace and blessings) said, “I leave you with a ‘white’ method (al-muhajat al-baydha’), its night is like its day. Deviation from it leads to destruction.” He also said, “I leave with you something which, if you hold to it, you will never go astray: the Book of Allah and my Sunnah.”
Some special advice to the Mureed
1. O’ Mureed! Remember that if you live the life as prescribed by the Shariah, then on the Day of Qiyaamah, you will be highly successful and enlightened.
2. O’ Mureed! Remember that you have pledged to refrain from anything which is against the Commands of Almighty Allah and His Most Beloved Rasool Salla Allahu ta’ala ‘alayhi wa ‘aalihi wa Sallam.
3. O’ Mureed! You have pledged to remain within the folds of the Ahl as Sunnah Wa Jama’ah and will refrain from the company of all misled sects and groups. Remember! Do not die, but in the state of Imaan.
4. O’ Mureed! You have pledged to perform all the Faraa’idh of the Shariat-e-Muhammadi Salla Allahu ta’ala ‘alayhi wa ‘aalihi wa Sallam, the Salaah, the Fasting, the Hajj, and the giving of Zakaah. Remain steadfast in these duties.
5. O’ Mureed! You have pledged to perform all the commands of Shariah, so do not break this pledge of yours.